Monday 6 June 2011

Magpie Monday - Best. Book. Ever

Tra La La. I own Practical Knitting! So I don't know really how much this counts as a magpie find, as I didn't buy it, I was given it by my mum who is having a clear out. Anyway, it came to me gratis so that's in the spirit, right?

This fabulous 1940's knitting book was originally owned by my grandmother, I think her mum bought it for her when she left home(?) It has ladies, gents and childrens patterns in. I think that the bast part is that there are three whole chapters at the back explaining how to modify the paterns in terms of size, colour and stitch to suit your own tastes. Which is a nice change from modern patterns which basically say 'do it like THIS or you'll screw it up!'. It is my new bible. Shame that I will not be able to make myself any of the lovely slim fitting jumpers for another 9 months or so - no point. Luckily there is a large baby section. Now where did I put my 4-ply ...?

My mum remembers wearing this exact vest. Itchy!
I do plan to make this delightful hatty scarf

This is part of the Magpie Monday blog hop over at Me and My Shadow

Me and My Shadow

5 comments:

Liz Burton said...

Welcome to Magpie Monday! Thanks so much for joining in.

I love that this book has been passed down the family.

I can't knit for toffee but I'd still have hours of fun leafing through the book. It looks fab.

Oh, and congratulations on your new addition on the way :0)

Emma@christmascupboard said...

Wow...What a fabulous book! I'm not a knitter but I crochet and love vintage patterns. How lovely that it was your Granmothers!

KatGotTheCream said...

I love old craft magazines and patterns. I found a stack of 70s ones in my charity shop a while back and they're so inspirational.

I love looking at the way the garments/models were styled!

Becky (Hazel and Blue) said...

Hello! What a great book to have, especially handed down from your Grandmother. I have also found some great vintage knitting patterns and books whilst thrifting- some of the poses the models do, are so funny!

Isobel said...

yes, it's so lovely to have an 'heirloom' even if it is a very tatty one!!