If you are looking for an easy weekend bake to try with your children, how about some light Red Velvet Cupcakes? The beauty of these is that they are super easy to make, and use no eggs. I find this useful as I frequently run out of the things due to my childrens weekend boiled egg habit. Neeeeed some chickens!
Also, if you have a child who is allergic to eggs you might enjoy this recipe. In fact, all you need do is swap out the milk for soya milk and you can have an entirely vegan cake. Yay!
200g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
20g cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4tsp baking powder
20ml cider vinegar
80ml sunflower oil
1tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp red food colouring, paste/gel
OVEN: Preheat to 180C/Gas Mark 4
Makes 24 fairy cakes
1. Line two cupcake pans with paper cases
2. Put the vinegar and milk into a jug and set aside for around 10 mins
3. Meanwhile, put into a large bowl the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, bicarb, & baking powder. Mix until combined.
4. Add the milk mixture, oil, vanilla and food colour to the dry ingredients mixing by hand with a metal spoon. This is fine if done by a child, lumpy is just right!
5. Spoon into the cake cases.
6. Bake for 15 mins, cool in the trays for a little while, then transfer to a wire rack.
ICING: we iced ours with a cream cheese and vanilla icing, but you may want to modify this if you are making them for a special diet. I completely ballsed up my cake icing and subsequently have NO photos of them because they looked icky - I have a complete blind spot when it comes to icing cakes. I literally cannot make icing, I have no idea why. So enjoy your cakes and this very nice photo of somebody elses red velvet cupcakes.